Here is more or less all you need, in terms of traditional ingredients, clock-wise, starting in the upper left, dried Shiitake mushrooms, Soba Noodles, Hijiki, Organic Red Miso, Bonito shavings, and dried sardines.
|Traditional ingredients for Miso Soba|
For vegetables a good choice is daikon radish, and some scallions (2-3).
Quick preparation - makes a meal-sized bowlUse a 2-cup and a 1-cup Pyrex measuring cup.
- Boil a bundle of soba noodles in boiling water, ca. 7 minutes.
- Soak a tablespoon of hijiki in some fresh water.
- Grate about a cup of daikon, and cut up 2-3 scallions in thin slices.
- Drain the hijiki when it starts to get soft.
- Cut up a ca 4 Oz block of firm tofu in small cubes.
- Put the drained hijiki, grated daikon, sliced scallions in the 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup, and fill up with filtered water. Microwave, covered, on high for 3 minutes.
- Drain the hot vegetable water in the 1-cup Pyrex measuring cup, and dissolve a heaping tablespoon of miso (to taste) in it.
- Pour the Dashi into the 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup, with the drained ingredients and microwave for 2 minutes (the dashi should not be brought to the boil, but it should be hot).
- When the noodles are done, drain them with a colander into the large soup bowl, so that the water heats up the bowl.
- Dump out the cooking water out of the hot bowl, put the soba noodles in it and add the contents of the 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup, and then add the well-dissolved miso from the 1-cup Pyrex measuring cup.