This recipe meets all the criteria for Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's no-oil vegan lifestyle.
|Jackfruit Arils & Seeds (Wikipedia)|
Ingredients & Variations
- Farro for a grain - you cook it like rice, but it has a very rich, nutty flavor. Around here you can find it at Good 'n Natural on White Plains Road, its from Bob's Red Mill. Alternatively you could use a brown Basmati rice.
- Swiss chard. Chang-Li Supermarket regularly carries this vegetable. You could uses spinach instead, but again the Swiss Chard has that rich, nutty flavor, that sets it apart.
- A chopped onion.
- In a pan, cook the chopped onion in two cups of water for about 10-15 minutes, with the peeled jackfruit seeds. Turn down to a slow simmer.
- Meanwhile you washed the chard and chopped up the stems into inch-long pieces.
- First add the stems of the chard to the simmering pan, and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Chop the leaves of the chard into about inch-wide strips, and add them to the pan - let it simmer until the leaves are wilted and soft to eat.