Saturday, January 16, 2016

What to do with a Jicama?

In my neighborhood this one involves a serious run to Chang Li Supermarket... and in fact this is often how the process starts: when I see a vegetable or a fruit there that I do not already know, I start looking up what you can do with it.

The first time I bought a Jicama, I just used it in another salad, and that was not convincing, but it got my curiosity started. The nutritional qualities of Jicama seem to be impeccable, so more experimentation was called for.

I ended up making a creamy salad dressing with silken tofu, and mustard, and chia seeds. The end result was finger licking good.

Like with any salad, you can throw anything plus the kitchen sink in there once you figure out the tastes... I could see adding adding raisins or craisins, and you can keep on experimenting.

Here is the basic recipe I ended up with:

This one started from a recipe on epicurious, hereMy problem with that one was that it uses dairy, so instead, I made my own creamy dressing with silken tofu instead of cheese. 


  • Peel the Jicama (note, the skin reportedly is actually poisenous, so do a good job of it!) 
  • Grate the Jicama with a mandoline to matchstick size. 
  • Peel ca 5-8 Clementines, and cut the slices in half 
  • Grate a small red onion to match stick size. 
Mix the ingredients.

Tofu/Mustard Dressing: 


  1. 16 Oz package silken tofu, drained 
  2. 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar 
  3. 2 garlic cloves, peeled 
  4. 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro 
  5. 1/4 cup scallion thinly sliced 
  6. 3 table spoons honey 
  7. 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil 
  8. 2 teaspoons low sodium tamari, or Braggs Liquid Aminos (1/3rd the sodium level of even low sodium tamari) 
  9. 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes (to taste... I could use 2-3 teaspoons) 
Blend with any good blender, food processor, or Nutribullet, and create a rich, creamy dressing. 
For this Jicama salad, I like to add in about 1-3 table spoons of mustard. 
You can add raw green pumpkin seeds, or chia seeds, or wheat germ to the eventual salad.

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/3738280/2?nc=1&autosave=form.info.autosave#ixzz3xQyJv3Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment