Saturday, February 17, 2018

#WFPB shopping at Neerob Bazaar

Neerob Bazaar remains one of my go-to places on Starling Avenue. Today I found an excellent brown Basmati rice from SWAD, which is an excellent value at 10 lbs for $12.

Khokon holding up SWAD Brown Basmati Rice

It is so important for people to eat brown rice instead of the white stuff. Diabetes is exploding among the SE Asian population as they adopt more american foods and cooking habits. Refined (simple) carbohydrates, animal protein and too much cooking oil are the chief culprits. Here is a link to Dr. Neal Barnard's new approach to diabetes, based on a Whole Foods, Plant-Based diet. Remember always, if you are under medical treatment, do this only in consultation with your doctor, but generally, it appears that 70% of diabetes is reversible, and the other 30% can usually reduce their insulin dramatically, as well as reduce other medications, if they can do a Whole Foods, Plant-Based diet.

Importantly, here is some nutritional information on brown versus white rice:

Another great find was a bag with 1 lb of Organic Sweet Peppers, which adds great nutrition to any salad, for only $1.99.

Organic Sweet Peppers 1 lb
Little finds like that make me feel as if it is spring already!

Adding color to your salads is so important.

For substance, I add some cooked quinoa, and for my dressing I make a basic 3/2/1 dressing I learned from the Esselstyn family:
  • 3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp of maple syrup
Then, optionally you can extend it with some the juice of a lemon and finely chopped garlic and parsley for an out of this world dressing.

Alternatively, you can roast a red bell pepper and mix it in with a blender. Vinegar is an excellent preservative, so that will make an out of this world dressing, which will keep in the fridge for a few days. The trick is to always make certain things ahead, so you can keep the ball rolling with minimal effort.

This is what it's like to live in food mecca in the Bronx.

No comments:

Post a Comment